A Student Council was set up in St. Mary’s College in September 1996.
Student Council 2019/2020
1st Year: Lisa Farrell and Colm Flanagan
2nd Year: Cliona Mc Cormack and Matthew Staunton
3rd Year: Leah McGlinchey and Catherine Bolas
4th Year: Adam Healy and Sean Tivnan
5th Year: Erin Taheny, Julia Milaniek and Briona Mc Donald
6th Year: Eimear Morris, Jack Young and Nancy-Mai Leech
Role of Student Council Member
A Student Council member will work with everyone in the school community to support the aims of our Mission Statement:
- Excellence in teaching and learning
- Spiritual and personal development
- Respect for self, others and the environment
- Tolerance, justice and co-operation
- Appreciation of individual talents and abilities
- Education for leisure
- Citizenship and leadership
- A caring community
The Student Council has a special role to play in the life of the school. It provides students with a voice in the running of the school. It may report to the Board of Management. It will be consulted on key school policies. It will work closely with the Principal.
The Student Council should be active:
- It should communicate with all students.
- Where needed, it should liaise with other people inside and outside the school community.
- It should make use of the website and the school newsletter.
- It should make use of a noticeboard in the school.
- It should be part of organising school events throughout the year.
- It should encourage all years in the school to take part.
Every member of the Student Council must be willing to do this work, in the true spirit of our school.
Mr. Shane Kennedy is the liaison teacher with the Student Council.